Saturday, February 18, 2006

Weekend Plans

Today hubby and I are headed over to Miss Mary's house. She has some stuff in her basement that needs repairing so hubby is taking care of that for her while I help her organize her make-up studio.

While she and I work, we'll also be brainstorming. I hope she has chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate. I think better with all those pseudo-endorphins racing thru my bloodstream.

Tomorrow, my plan is to try my hand at making Limoncello. If you're thinking "wha...???" Limoncello is a lovely lemon liqueur. Usually made in Italy around the Amalfi Coast and Liguria.

It's really quite simple to make--in theory. Just use grain alcohol like Everclear or even a decent vodka and drop the peel of a dozen or so lemons in it. Put the bottle away for about 6 weeks, then combine with a simple syrup. Let it sit for a few more weeks, strain and there you have it.

I first tried this yummy-delicioso treat while on our cruise last month. It was hideously expensive--a thimblefull for about $4.00. My logic is that if I can make some that's anywhere near as good as what I tasted, it will make very nice Christmas presents this year and won't cost me an arm and a leg.

I'll keep you posted.

Lastly...I have a sort of poll question. Please post a comment with your response:

If you don't live alone and you have other adults living in the same household, do you think it only courteous to let the other members of the household know when you've returned home so as not to scare the crap out of them by appearing unexpectedly?

7 comments:

Jane said...

Well, yes. On the other hand, there was that time I was taking photography lessons. I was in the closet with a towel jammed under the door to create a space dark enough to spool the film into the dark can. Jim came home, so I naturally stepped out of the closet to say hello. He still shivers in fear when he remembers that moment! Heh

Anonymous said...

Well being the jumpy kind.... damn skippy you better tell me when you come into my house... your liable to get clocked......

Kelly

Mouse said...

I'm pretty sure that limoncello was what they were drinking in the movie "Under the Tuscan Sun".. looked like some good stuff.

Cinthia Hamer said...

Mouse, you get the prize!! Yes, that WAS Limoncello. :-) My husband says if it turns out good, I should start selling it and call it Yemon-Lello Limoncello. LOL! Our DD couldn't say lemon yellow when she was a tot so she said yemon-lello instead (crayon color). And thought it was hilarious.

Hey, do you think they'd notice at the library if I brought a bottle in for "sampling" purposes when it's ready????

itgirl said...

Darn skippy the person should announce their presence, are you asking because this is a known issue in my household?

Anonymous said...

Hello stranger!

Fun keeping up with you by blog since I havn't been able to make to wed. nite knitting!
I made lemoncello as christmas presents about 4 years ago and it came out great! Good luck, it is a fun one!
I bet if you don't bring it in a big ole' moonshine bottle - you know the kind Granny drank from on Beverly Hillbillies - they'd never know! :)
See you Wed! I will make it this week!

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Miss Mary speaks.
Cin. and her DH spend the afternoon with me Saturday. He did a great job on my basement and we "girls" did some plotting and critiquing.

On Sunday Cin and her daughter visited with me and another writer friend I've known since 1991.

Our writer friend is experiencing several gut punches/body slams from life lately and Cin's time with us helped us all. Her lovely daughter contributed, too.

I'm not a blogger but I'm impressed with my buddy's efforts.

MaryMarvella