Monday, February 13, 2006

The Big Boom

Every once in a while we just need a good scare. I think it revs up the heart and makes the blood flow better, don't you?

I was sitting here working on chapter two of Opus #1 rewrites and having random AIM chat sessions with online buddies when I heard this tremendous explosion. I mean, this was LOUD. The One O'Clock Gun at Edinburgh Castle had nothing on this.

Simultaneously my computer monitor went blank. After I no longer heard my heart beating like a rabbit's in my ears, I noticed that the room had gotten vewy vewy quiet.

Power outage....loud boom...hmmm...blown transformer. Joy. I could probably look forward to huddling in the rocking chair wrapped in a blanket, sipping my tepid coffee and reading for the next, oh, six hours.

I called our local Electric Membership company and reported it and amazingly, within half an hour, a technician showed up. It took him all of two seconds to fix the problem, which turned out to be a blown fuse. Kudos to them for promptness!

Now, my question: Why can't the great, all-powerful THEY invent a fuse that blows quietly? Or is it planned that way so as to a)alert the neighborhood that in a nanosecond the power will go off? or b)scare the ever-lovin' poo out of anyone who happens to be at home?

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and for all you women with men who tell you they "don't need a special day to tell you they love you", Bullsnot! It's just an excuse for them to be cheap and not make an effort to give you something nice on a day when every other woman with a significant other is getting something nice.

Miss Mary doesn't have an S.O. She ditched her not-so-significant other a few years back after he'd proven one too many times he was about as loving as a cockleburr. So, I've planned a little something for her.

Hubby and I are going to the movies. Either The Matador or Nanny McPhee. Then it's home for...

No comments: