Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Congratulations--It's a Tree!

We finally have a Christmas tree! We'd put it off for so long because of the carpet that I was afraid we'd end up with one of those Charlie Brown trees that drop needles every time you look at it, but we got a nice, fresh cut tree...paid a little more than I wanted, but hey, you can't have everything. (I keep telling myself that, but I don't really believe it.)

Yesterday was one of those days that make me wish I had a rewind button on my life. Apparently I forgot to make sure the bottom part of the gate confining "the girls" into the kitchen was latched. When Himself got home there were about a dozen pulls in the carpet. He just HAD to call me and blast me about it, even though it was a mistake...not something I'd done intentionally...it was half MY money that bought that carpet, after all.

Right after that, this doddering old couple (she's 89 and he's 90) come wobbling into the lab. They're regulars, so you'd think they'd know the drill, but I have to ASK them for their insurance even though I have a sign right there in front of them telling them I need to see it at every visit. (apparently 38 point Arial Bold font is too small for their aged eyes).

The old lady gets in the back and I have to ask her to take her coat off, ask her to roll up her sleeve. (Not the left sleeve, the RIGHT sleeve. You've been here before, remember???) Then I can't find a vein. I ask if she's had any water to drink. "No, but I've had several cups of coffee."

~~sigh~~ I move to her hand and while I'm lecturing her yet again on why she needs to drink water on the days she has doctor appointments, the vein is repeatedly collapsing on me. Only by sheer determination that I'm only going to stick this woman once was I able to collect enough for the lab.

Then she has the nerve to get pissy with me for being aggravated!!!

Today her husband comes in--alone. Not sure what she did or did not tell him, but he was nice as can be and for the first time ever -- he was adequately hydrated! Knock me over with a feather! On top of that, he was cordial (something he's never been before). The fact that he tried to give me his VISA card in place of his Medicare card, and that he drove himself--well, let's just say, he's lucky I'm honest and I'm glad I wasn't on the road at the same time he was!


Joke of the Day: What do you get when you cross Johnny Mathis with a Beagle?

Ans: The dog that lives next door. (Earplugs definitely recommended. Acoholic nightcap optional)

Nighty Nite

1 comment:

Jane said...

Hi Cindy! Great blog. Now you need to get some buttons and links for your sidebars. Check out some of the other knitting/fiber blogs and you'll see what I mean. Join some rings like Purling Puppies and Knitbloggers and those buttons/links will begin to bring you readers. I'm sure there must be a ring for spinners, but I don't know what it is - I'll look around. Welcome to Blogland!