Thursday, February 14, 2008

Waffling About Valentine's Day


I know a lot of people who get all bent out of shape when Valentine’s Day comes around. They argue that it’s all just a big marketing ploy to get people to buy stuff they neither need nor want in an effort to impress someone. Someone who either already knows how the other person feels or someone they hope will allow a furthering of intimacies in the relationship.

Other people, like Dear Daughter (the elder), who loves all holidays without exception, goes all out for Valentine’s Day and buys everyone she knows some sort of card or little gift as a reminder of her regard. She’s a retailer’s dream, that girl.

For myself, I straddle the fence with regards to Valentine’s Day. I don’t model myself after my child, but I’m not a curmudgeon about it, either. I usually buy my long-suffering hubby a card, make him a particularly toothsome dinner, etcetera…

He’s not big into cards, but he’ll usually buy me flowers, which he knows I love, and sometimes a DVD or a book I’ve been wanting.

But as the crew of the Romance Writer’s Revenge discussed today, Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity for Show, Don’t Tell. It’s all those little things during the year leading up to the Grand Gesture on Valentine’s Day that make the holiday genuine.

Back when I was a kid, back before cable tv, (gasp) computers and Political Correctness, we would spend the week leading up to Valentine’s Day decorating our little shoebox mailboxes and our little hearts would hammer with anticipation wondering how many valentines we would get.

And every year, my little heart would be broken because being the weird little geek that I was, I didn’t get many valentines. Often there would be only two in my little mailbox, one from the teacher and one from my best friend. And this after I’d gone to the effort to give one to everyone in my class.

Now, thanks to Political Correctness, every student, if they are going to participate, must give a valentine card to every other student in their class. No exceptions. So, there are no broken hearts, but at the same time, the weird little geek kid gets valentines from the kids who shove him into walls and the kid who wipes boogers on the back of his shirt. Can you feel the love?

So, how do you feel about Valentine’s Day? Love it? Loathe it? Have you made any grand gestures for the Significant Other in your life?

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Hmm.. well, I do get rather cynical about the whole materialistic side of it, and I don't go buying stuff. Hubby always used to get me roses, and I've complained every year how expensive they are, and how I always kill them anyway! This year he finally got the hint, and bought me chocolate! And, none of these silly, overpriced-for-the-day boxes, but rather, choocies he knows I like. :)

I also see the day as being about love in general, and so a few friends that I care about have been sent ecards.. as you know. ;) Considering I have none in my inbox, I guess I must also be a weird little geek!

Cinthia Hamer said...

Well, I can't say I didn't TRY. I received your ecard and loved it. I thought it was really sweet. But when I went to SEND a card, I got a very rude message that told me the network was overloaded and to try again later! Pffbbtt to that! I had to race out the door to suck some blood, and am now home, so maybe I'll be able to get through this time.

Check your "inbox"!

Love you!

Cindy

Michelle said...

That's because I live in a better time zone, and was able to get on the site before all you Americans woke up! hehe

Hope you and hubby had a nice evening!

Lauren Murphy said...

I don't hate V Day but I don't celebrate it either. Me and mine decided that what's most important are the things that you do on a day to day bases. The special little surprises that happen just because one of us felt like doing something special for the other and not because we are supposed to do it on this special day. I want him to do something nice for me when the movement strikes because it's more thoughtful and special. I don't want it to be well I got this because it's V Day and I was supposed to. And forget going out! It's the worse day to go on a date. Way too crowded.

Cinthia Hamer said...

Oh, Lauren, I agree with the going out part! Hubby and I agreed a long time ago that dates on Valentine's Day are O-U-T. We usually go out and do something special on the weekend following, usually lunch. :-)

But I think we'd have to agree to disagree on the whole concept of the day itself. Some people are of then rather thick-headed and often reticent when it comes to expressing their feelings. V Day gives them a good excuse to put into words and gestures something that might otherwise go unexpressed.