Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Birthday Blog

I woke up this morning another year older...golly, how on earth did THAT happen? I certainly don't "feel" older...hope to goodness I don't LOOK older!

Birthdays are such odd things...some people--kids mostly--love them and can't wait for the next one. Most of the adults I've encountered seem to disdain them and try to ignore them.

I don't think I fit into that last category--or the first.

I'm not anxious for the days, months and years to race past any faster than they are, because that means one more year spent on this planet and one less to come.

But on the other hand, I'm thankful each year that I'm getting to celebrate another birthday, another milestone in my life, an opportunity that some won't get this year.

My sister, who is almost 10 years older than me is the most youthful woman of a "certain age" I know. If you met her on the street, you'd swear she was at least 20 years younger than she really is...and this is after battling cancer...not once but TWICE.

She's my ultimate heroine. When I grow up, I want to be just like her.

For a long time now, I've suspected that age is mostly about attitude. If you think "Good Lord, I'm getting old!"--You're gonna be old! I know women that are in their 60's who have the youthful outlook of a woman in her twenties.

Conversely, I know women who aren't even fifty who think, act and dress like they're ready for the rocking chair. I feel sorry for those women. An attitude like that is only going to speed you toward that hole in the ground that we all dread.

Having said that...one thing I'm really looking forward to in the coming decade and a half is retirement. Sounds odd, I know...most people think that when you retire from work, you retire from life.

Well, that ain't necessarily so. The main reason I'm looking forward to retirement is because I want to get out there and play--all the time! :) :) :) I want to make a lunch date for noon on Wednesday and have it carry over til dinner time and not worry that the boss is going to fire my heinie for tardiness.

I want to book a month long vacation. A month in Positano, anyone??? I want to be able to hop on a plane or into my car and go visit friends and family on a moment's notice and not have to leave just when the fun is starting.

The possibilities are endless.

So, what do YOU think about birthdays? Love them? Hate them? Indifferent?

7 comments:

Cinthia Hamer said...

Well, I keep reminding myself that there are kids out there with RA who hurt all the time, and they're still kids.

And the people with memories going, if it's Alzheimers,they'll revert to kid-dom at some point...and if that happens to me, I really won't care! :) I just hope it doesn't...I don't want to be a burden to my family.

Michelle said...

I LOVE birthdays.. I think that they are your special day, and you should make sure you enjoy it. :)

I hope you're having an enjoyable one!

Jane said...

Happy Birthday! I don't mind them - after all, what a great excuse to eat all the cake and ice cream you want. It's been said that age is all in your head, and for the most part I think that's true. Hope you have a wonderful day!

Cinthia Hamer said...

Thank you, Jane! Sorry I missed out last night...but I didn't want to eat and run out on my family when they'd asked me to please stay and eat cake with them...turns out I was the only one who wanted cake after that dinner! LOL!

So, I sat at my spinning wheel and spun up some lovely soft yarn while I watched Anne of Green Gables, the Sequel.

Hockey Mom said...

Hope you have had a wonderful birthday! I hope you're feeling well? Can't wait to see you when I get back from my vacation.

I love my birthday. It's a great reason to take the day off.

Kristen Painter said...

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY!

Claudia said...

Happ belated birthday! Now I understand why we missed you last Wednesday at the library. I love birthdays - hubby usual has some nice gifts in store for me and you can't change anything about your age anyway. So, I take it as it is and try to be as happy as I can. See you soon!