Thursday, February 23, 2006

Clapotis(Clap o TEE) N: Modern French Torture Device Made of Yarn

It's still ugly here in Atlanta. I can't remember the last time I saw the sun. In fact, there's this suspicious green patch that's appeared on my shoulder that I think may be moss...

Last night I was the first to arrive at the Library for Stitching for Sanity. Does that tell you anything? Usually I come skidding in sometime after 7:00 and everyone has to do the "clean cup, clean cup, move down, move down" routine for me.

We were supposed to have a meeting room last night. Apparently the word didn't get out to the Five Forks HOA because when I arrived there was a man in there setting up chairs in neat tidy rows. I wandered into the main part of the library and there was nary a table to be had. I finally plunked my bag on a chair in the "Teen Scene" area and shot anyone who gave me the hairy eyeball a defiant glare.

There is strengh in numbers...eventually there were enough of us to squeeze out any interlopers by sheer force of will and we had the area to ourselves.

It was a Red Letter night for me, too. I've decided to make the Clapotis (loud applause please). This will be my very first attempt at following a pattern. I know, I know...how on earth can you possibly knit without a pattern??? Very easily...there are just some things that are standard...you just DO THEM and they come out. Like scarves... and hats.... Socks are a little more difficult, but if you know the stitches for your basic sock, you can get on fairly well without having to follow a printed pattern.

It's those danged abbreviations that kill me. PBF. WTF??? I had to go online and look through THREE different knitting abbreviation sites before I found one that had that little nugget and I still couldn't figure out what the heck it meant. So, I took the yarn and needles with me last night and had the experts (Stephanie, St. Janice) show me exactly what Purl Back and Front of same stitch meant. Geez.

So, now that I've got that figured out, I'm making a test clap before committing to the expense, time and energy to make one out of silk for that VIP I mentioned a few posts back.

Heck, I have until July!

2 comments:

Mouse said...

The fact that y'all weren't able to be in the room was my fault.. I apparently am unable to mark the correct date on my calender without supervision. We WILL have the room for March 1st- seriously. Sorry.. I'm a dope! Ps. love the title line.. I call it "clapotitis" like its a disease.

Hockey Mom said...

Psst! I have a spreadsheet that makes it all wonderfully easy! I'll send you the file today, k? Then you can ask me any questions you may have. K?

I'm in the 10th repeat of the straight section and I can't really believe that I've attained this zen-like rhythm. I'm having fun and it doesn't feel like the black hole at all.