Sunday, January 08, 2006

St. Distaff's Day

Today the Handspinners Guild celebrated St. Distaff's Day. I'm sure it's not in any way the traditional type of celebration that used to go on back in the day, but we enjoy it.

This year we held our annual Market Day today, as well. Members use this as an opportunity to clear out their stash and/or buy stuff from other members. I brought a some wool I'd culled from my own stash as well as my suri alpaca. The wool sold, but the alpaca was a wash today. Oh well, maybe next month.

Quite unexpectedly, I came home with a spinning wheel. Not that I don't already have one, mind you. I have a very respectable little Ashford Kiwi. And it's been a very nice wheel for the last 4 years--for a beginner. But--I'm no longer a beginner and I've been longing for a more advanced wheel.

The new wheel is an Ashford Traditional (a "traddy" in the lingo). She's about 25 years old. She's not quite as portable as the Kiwi, but that's fine. She fits in the trunk of my car and that works for me.

Another plus is that I have a potential buyer for the Kiwi, so my net out of pocket cost for the Traddy will be a whopping $50. Can't beat a buy like that!

Here's a picture of me and the new girl getting to know each other:



She still hasn't told me what her name is, but she did mention that she likes the living room very much and would like to stay there!

Haven't heard anything on the new job, so I think I'll email them tomorrow. I have to go to the unemployment office and sit through two hours of mind-numbingly boring lecture on "how to get a job" and "how to market yourself". All in order to keep getting my benefits. Ugh!

I wonder if they'd object if I brought my knitting with me--or do they expect me to take notes???

6 comments:

jenifleur said...

Darn, I totally should have bought that alpaca. Not that I need any more fiber, no. But how could I let it go away unwanted when I want ALL alpaca fiber?

It was lovely to meet you today, I'm sure I will see you in blogland and real life!

Mouse said...

nice meeting you at Distaff Day.. will see you again soon!

Cinthia Hamer said...

Jeni--

Just say the word and I'll be glad to provide you with alpaca (enable, enable)!!

Happy Spinning

Cindy

Melissa said...

It was great meeting everyone! I'm so glad I overcame my anti-socialness.

And that Dept of Labor thing is mind-numbingly boring from what I remember when I had to take it. Knitting prolly isn't a good idea if you want to "show you're serious," but I'd take some anyway. You just never know ;-)

Katie said...

I wish I could have got there I have found that there are alot of GA bloggers out there

Jane said...

Good luck with the job search. If your buyer doesn't come through on the Kiwi, let me know. I'll definitely take it off your hands.