Friday, June 30, 2006

Roughing It

The title of this blog comes from a thread on a writer's board I frequent. I read it and thought I'd expound on my idea of "roughing it."

For me, roughing it isn't something as mundane as only having 4 television channels to watch, or using an inferior product...

My idea of "roughing it" is having my technological toys taken away. Since my first daughter was an infant, I've relied on microwave ovens to decrease the time I spend in the kitchen. The same with my dishwasher...though I could get away without one now, since hubby and I are more or less "empty-nesters".

But more than anything, I probably could not function and would be reduced to a quivering blob of protoplasm, curled up in a fetal position under the bedcovers, sucking my thumb and whimpering if my computer were taken away.

This little wonder has introduced me to new friends, given me a better way to express my creativity, and given me tools to do research, find recipes, catch up with old friends and learn new things.

This morning, I went downstairs and flipped on the lightswitch. Nothing happened. Then I remembered that last night the lights had flickered then gone out. Hubby had looked at the circuit breaker and declared it "DRT"--dead right there. That circuit not only controls the lights, but also the microwave.

Thankfully, the stove still worked and I was able to boil water in a pan to make tea. But it made me conscious of how much I rely on "things". What would I have done if the stove had been electric and on the same blown out circuit? (Probably jumped in my car and gone to Quik Trip for a caramel cappucino steamer, but that's another story).

I had a friend who shunned technology (except for her computer). She and her family live in a rustic house out in the boondocks of Northern California. She did not own a microwave. While she did own a television set, she only used it to play DVD's to entertain her kids. She had a treadle sewing machine which she used to make beautiful quilts. Eventually, I believe she even gave up the computer. This saddened me because I lost touch with her.

So, what is your idea of "roughing it"? What can't you live without?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way could I live without my laptop. Yep, an empty lap is a sad thing to imagine. Even when the power goes out, I work by candlelight. I have worked during winter nights with a fire in my fireplace and candles. Thank goodness the power returned before my laptop battery died.

Anonymous said...

Wilma 12 days... no power..... no lap top.... no hot baths..... no tea.... no.... no.... no..... bought generator... never again......

I miss that friend too.

Michelle said...

I don't even want to think about how I'd be if my computer was taken away... *shudders*

Anonymous said...

The washing machine,I had that experience once when it broke,handwashing a mountain of laundry, for 3 little ones and 2 adults.Then trying to dry it all. and the silly DH thought we did ok,couldn't understand why I was so bad tempered.Now, if it had ben his precious T.V. that would've been fixed/replaced within the hour!!