Friday, March 24, 2006

Indulgences

Do you spoil yourself? By that, I mean do you do things and buy little things that make you feel good? Or are you one who is completely self-sacrificing and never spends a dime on yourself or allows yourself a moment to be completely at rest?

I do some of both.

The Man Who Lives With Me does not drink coffee. Hates it, in fact. I, on the other hand, love quality coffees and teas…even consider myself something of a coffee snob. I will plunk down a hefty $9.00 for a pound of perfectly roasted Kenya AA and savor each cup as though it were ambrosia.

I don’t wear cheap shoes, either. Given that we are only issued one pair of feet and medical technology hasn’t perfected the foot transplant yet, I take very good care of the two I have. While I adore looking at those gorgeous, frivolous dainty shoes with impossibly high heels, I’d never buy a pair or wear them even if they were offered. The pain just isn’t worth it. So, I shell out the money for decent looking, though plain, supremely comfortable shoes.

One thing hubby and I agree on are bedsheets. I’m the Princess and the Pea, personified when it comes to threadcount. Nothing less than 400TPI touches this skin.

I think a lot of my self-indulgence comes from growing up with a dad who was a product of the Great Depression. He bought the cheapest of everything. When the “generic” craze hit the nation, he was the happiest man on the face of the earth. Suddenly, our home was filled with “basic” this, and “yellow label” that. It didn’t matter if the can of green beans was mostly stems…it was cheap!

Lest you think me a spendthrift, let me assure you, I’m not. I have a very small amount of discretionary income and most weeks, I have money left over. My greatest indulgence is time. Now that my children are grown and, for the most part out of the house and on their own, the demands of motherhood are no longer as great as they once were.

Each week I have time that is mine and mine alone to do with as I please. I cherish that time and it takes something major for me to give it up. That’s when I recharge my creative batteries. It might be something as simple as a long soak in the tub with some music playing or it could be a drive to the botanical garden to wander through the plants to see what’s blooming.

Even something as simple as taking fifteen minutes to sit and enjoy that cup of coffee while looking out the window is an indulgence of sorts.

So, how do you indulge yourself? Do you pamper yourself to the extreme? Or do you sneak in little bits and pieces? Does a secret treat make it all the sweeter?

3 comments:

The Book Fiend said...

Crikey, we're all writing about coffee today - LOL! My indulgence is, like you, nice bed linen. I also love massive fluffy towels - can't stand skimpy little ones. And my other major love is for lovely pens. I've been known to spend a small fortune on a beautiful fountain pen & other folks often buy them as gifts for me. Dale got me a gorgeous fountain pen for my birthday last year & my Dad brought me back a beautiful black feather, silver-tipped quill from his holidays last year too - both are delightful to use!

Michelle said...

Since deciding to take a break from work, to be at home with Amy, I've had to learn to cut back, and not buy all the junk that I don't need.

However, my pc is one indulgance.. I pay for my internet, the hosting for my sites, and for decent antivirus and security.

My other indulagnce is my books.. although I've found cheaper places to buy! :)

Anonymous said...

How do I indulge myself.... after two years of scrapping together enough money to pay the bills and not one dime left over. I take great pleasure in the little things

Hot Chocolate on a cool (can't say cold, its never cold here) evening.

Like Cindy a good cup of tea.... and not that lipton dreck.... but good brewed from loose leaf tea... of any number of flavors.

and then there are the books.... lots and lots of books... hard back, paper back, romance, drama, or even biographys.... used, new, borrowed, stolen, what ever it takes.

Now that finances have changed... there are even more books to be concured!!!