Wednesday, December 28, 2005

My Christmas Eve

I know it's December 28th, but today is Christmas Eve at my house. We postponed Christmas until Dear Daughter, the Younger and her husband arrive to be with us for the holidays. Their flight arrives at Ten O'Something tonight.

Last night, Hubby and I made a mad dash to Athens--90 mile round trip--to get a much sought after Play Station game that SIL has been wanting. DD asked us pretty please if we would go pick it up as the game store was holding it for her.

While we were driving, my cell rang. It was AM, the sales rep for "New Lab". Her meeting went well with Dr. D. He's very anxious to get a Patient Service Center up and running in the empty suite next to where I was working. All that remains is to get the paperwork done--both theirs and mine. So, today I have to call the guy who would be my immediate supervisor and arrange for an interview, my drug test, etc...

One nice thing that Dr. K from "Old Lab" did, was send me a glowing letter of reference. He called me an exemplary employee and said that I would be missed. Said I was completely professional and dedicated in all my endeavors, etc... I about fell off my chair when I read it, as he'd NEVER praised me like that before. In fact, in order to get a raise, I had to threaten to quit!

So, enough blather about labs....

I've had a lot of thinking time on my hands and Eric, the hero of my next novel, has been a little more vocal of late. (You really can't miss that County Donegal brogue)

He told me he plays the pennywhistle. Don't ask me why this is important because he's not saying. Oh, and his last name is Shanahan. His parents ran a pub and he went to college on a rugby scholarship.

For a very short time he was an alterboy in his parish church, but that came to an abrupt end when he set fire to the priest's robe with a votive candle. (Thank God it was made of wool and was slow to burn or the parishoners might have seen Father Flambe at the alter at Matins that winter day!)

Sla'n a fha'ga'il ag duine (goodbye)

2 comments:

Cinthia Hamer said...

Dear Tiger Mother--

Alas, the publishing world hasn't yet discovered me. I have, however recently pitched my most recently completed novel to an editor at a major house and to an agent, so with a little luck, maybe 2006 will be "my year"!

Thank you for the compliment!

CH

Jane said...

Hope you had a great Christmas. See you at La Madeleine tomorrow I hope.